A Brief History of the AANP

The future ‘American Association of Neuropathologists’ was spawned in 1925 at a meeting in Joseph Globus’ laboratory at Mt. Sinai Hospital in New York City. Armando Ferraro was the organizer and the meeting was attended by S. Cobb, H. Zimmerman, N. W. Winkleman, Globus and Ferraro for certain and quite likely by Spiller, Davidson, L. Stevenson, F.H. Louis, W. Freeman and A. Wolf. The group called themselves the ‘Neuropathological Club’.

Later, the club renamed itself  ‘The Interurban Neuropathology Club’ and rotated their meetings between New York City, Hartford, Boston, and New Haven.  It was  finally named ‘The American Association of Neuropathologists’ (AANP) in 1933. Arthur Weil was the first president and Armando Ferraro the secretary-treasurer, and together they drafted the constitution.

(Drs. Joseph Globus, Abner Wolff, Armando Ferraro, Arthur Weill)
Throughout the 1940s the AANP usually met in Atlantic City although one meeting was in New York City and another in San Francisco; there were approximately 40 members. In 1948 the American Board of Pathology awarded the first neuropathology certifications to Webb Haymaker and Helena Riggs. James Kernohan gave the examination. Articles of Incorporation were presented to the Pennsylvania court in 1959 and approved in 1960 as a non-profit organization.  

 

The Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology (JNEN) was founded in 1942 and incorporated in 1965 in the State of New York. The first paper published in the January, 1942 issue was ‘ Studies in the Pathology and Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis…‘ by Otto Marburg. In 1980, by mutual agreement, the JNEN became the official journal of the AANP and the editorship passed from Abner Wolf to John Moossy.  

(First version - February 5, 2016, by Dr. Michael Hart, Archivist)