Human Prion Diseases
At the end of this module, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the role of cellular prion protein in the pathogenesis of prion disease.
- Define type 1 and type 2 prion protein
- Contrast clinical and histopathologic features of types MM1 and VV2 sporadic Jakob-Creutzfeldt disease.
- Define the sensitivity of immunohistochemical staining and immunoblot analysis in the diagnosis of sporadic prion disease.
- Describe the histopathology of Gerstmann-Straussler-Scheinker disease and fatal familial insomnia.
- Contrast clinical and pathologic features of variant and sporadic prion diseases.
- Define clinical and laboratory features of variably protease sensitive prionopathy.
- Choose optimal decontamination methods for contaminated instruments, surfaces, and tissues.
(attempts allowed: 3)